Tuesday, February 25, 2014

DNA Testing - Which Company? Part One.

DNA testing for genealogical purposes can be an exciting venture, but it can also be a very costly and confusing one as well.  Many people jump in at the thought of finding lost ancestors, breaking through brick walls, and meeting new cousins around the globe.  But these outcomes are not a guarantee.   The only ancestors you will discover are the ones you already know – unless you are willing to spend a lot of time researching the past to trace into the future (I’ll explain more on this later).  And brick walls can be broken through but again it will take a lot of hard work and determination.  Cousins?  You will meet a few; however, you will discover that their family trees and your own don’t have any noticeable matches and this will leave you feeling confused and oftentimes bewildered.  

So what then?  Should you NOT be DNA tested?  I’m not attempting to steer anyone away from being tested.  I think it is a wonderful opportunity to assist in your genealogical practices: a method of extracting your deeper roots via a genetic code that can be wisely used to match against probable prospects.

I myself have utilized DNA testing in this manner.   As a male I have the opportunity to test for all three available DNA packages on the market: Chromosomal (Y-DNA) which tests the father’s line; the Mitochondrial (mt-DNA) which tests the mother’s line; and the cheapest option, Autosomal DNA which tests everything to include all the in-betweens.

Y-DNA testing will go back many centuries from father to son on up the line.  Similarly, mt-DNA will do the same for the mother’s line.  Both of these tests can be a bit pricey.  And then there is the cheapest option, Autosomal DNA which tests the genetic composition inherited from both sets of parents, thus being able to establish or suggest our ethnicity.

At the time of this writing the following companies offer DNA testing:

23andMe.com

This company, claiming to be the largest DNA ancestry service in the world, sells a single Autosomal DNA test for $99 for which they write, “trace your lineage back 10,000 years and discover your history from over 750 maternal lineages and over 500 paternal lineages.”  They used to offer health-related information based on that genetic composition that suggested probable dis-eases a customer might be prone to but the FDA got involved and shut the marketing of the health information down.  The FDA believed this outcome to be unsubstantiated.  Customers that were grandfathered in were allowed to view their health profiles but new customers will not be given any health-related information.

Personally I think the health information is quite accurate.  For instance I was tested to have an increased risk for Type 2 Diabetes, Gout, Gallstones, Multiple Sclerosis, High Blood Pressure, Scoliosis, amongst other things.  When I served in the Marines they monitored my blood sugar because I was borderline Diabetic.  I do have (or had) high blood pressure which is now controlled by eating properly and taking certain whole food supplements, and I was discovered to have scoliosis (curvature of the spine) when 13 years of age.  Co-incidence?  I don’t think so.  I think 23andme.com is moving genetic science forward into new territory… and anything new has always been feared and or ridiculed UNTIL it was finally accepted as mainstream science. 

So I fully support 23andMe.com in their foresight and wisdom to launch into new territory.  In my opinion they should be allowed to continue their health investigations, questionnaires, and publishing of possible risk factors WITH a disclaimer to the end-user that these claims are not definite but probable.

My Experience with 23andMe.com

My ethnicity was determined to be 99.9% European with the following breakdown: 18.6% British & Irish; 9.1% French & German; 1.4% Scandinavian; 66.5% Nonspecific Northern European; 4.3% Nonspecific European; and .1% Unassigned.

This composition comes from 31 tested populations worldwide.  Because it is Autosomal it includes DNA inherited from both sides of my family – with no way of telling what percentages I received from what parent.  

If I were to have any complaints with the genetic composition determined by 23andMe.com it is that it is not specific enough.  As you can see there is a large segment (70.8%) that in labeled ‘nonspecific’ European.  I would like to have that segmented percentage broken down.  Certainly there are populations that can be tested in these European countries that can offer a bit more in regards to ethnicity suggestions.  Other testing companies don’t seem to have a problem with this.

23andMe.com matched we with 991 relatives, two 2nd cousin relationships (which I knew), two 3rd to 4th cousin relationships (which I didn’t), and many 3rd to distant relationships.  A pet peeve of mine, and it has nothing to do with any testing company, is that many testers hide behind a shroud of privacy never revealing their ancestral surnames or even their own name for that matter.  What is the sense in being tested if you don’t plan on making matches with other people?  I’ve introduced myself to many matches only to have my introduction declined or never answered.  I just don’t get it.

Most of my 991 matches (and this number grows constantly as new testers are matched) will NEVER be linked to my family tree.  The surnames they give do not match my own.  And the distance between us could be too great to make any sort of relationship finding useful.

AncestryDNA

A newcomer to the scene of genetic testing is Ancestry.com’s own AncestryDNA.  AncestryDNA offers a full-range of testing: Y-DNA, mt-DNA, and Autosomal DNA.  The Y-DNA test costs either $149 for a 33 Chromosome test or $179 for a 46.  The mtDNA test will cost you $179.  And combined the cost is either $328 or $358.  The Autosomal DNA test is regularly priced at $99.

Personally I don’t feel AncestryDNA’s Y-DNA testing at the 33 and 46 chromosome levels is sufficient to establish any sort of relationship.  In my opinion this low level of testing can establish too many false leads.  I would think this testing should be amped up to either 67 or 111 levels.  This higher level of testing paints an entirely new picture sifting low-level results while keeping only the best.

My wife and I have both been tested through AncestryDNA.  I paid for the mtDNA on myself, manually entered my Y-DNA results from another company, and took the Autosomal DNA test.  My wife only took the Autosomal DNA test.

AncestryDNA’s Autosomal test reveals a bit more than does 23andMe.com.   With AncestryDNA it is estimated that I am 100% European with the following genetic breakdown: 34% Europe West (Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein – also found in England, Denmark, Italy, Slovenia, and the Czech Republic); 33% Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales – also found in Ireland, France, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy); 16% Scandinavian (Sweden, Norway, Denmark – also found in Great Britain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, the Baltic States, and Finland); 11% Ireland (Ireland, Wales, Scotland – also found in France and England); 3% Italy/Greece; 2% Finland/Northern Russia; less than 1% Iberian Peninsula; and less than 1% Europe East.

These figures are quite a bit different from that suggested by 23andMe.com.  I think AncestryDNA’s suggestions are closer to the truth.  My father is Dutch.  He comes from a long lineage of Dutch marrying only Dutch.  And my mother’s line does have English, Scottish, and Irish with a bit of German… all which are suggested by AncestryDNA.

Because Ancestry.com is such a large company I have many more matches with varying degrees of confidence that there is a common ancestor we share: some as high as 96%.  And the user testees are much more likely to have an established family tree for comparison.  I like that.  

Unlike 23andMe.com I HAVE found new cousins with proven relationships through Autosomal testing.  And I’ve even been privy to new information learned from these cousins – information I would not have come across on my own.   But I have learned nothing new through either Ancestry.com’s Y-DNA or mtDNA testing.

I think AncestryDNA’s claim to fame is in its Autosomal DNA test.  The other tests have fallen to the wayside.  They are still there, they are still being offered, but they are not as popular.

Why is that?  I think most people take the DNA test hoping to discover their ethnicity.  And only the Autosomal test is able to suggest this.  Plus because the price of the Autosomal test is so low compared to the more exhaustive test, it is in better reach for most people financially.

My wife’s own testing was a bit more generalized than mine.  She descends from Central American native Indians that mixed with the Conquistadors.  She is tall, slender, with high cheekbones, dark hair, and definite “indian” features.  AncestryDNA did account for this Indian composition categorizing it as: 57% Native American (North, Central or South American).  This is NOT specific enough.

It was interesting however to see where the other 43% of her genetic composition derived.  Surprisingly it was not all Iberian Peninsula (Spain).  This only made of 8% of her genetics.  Her breakdown was 10% Italy/Greece, 8% Iberian Peninsula, 7% Great Britain, 3% Asian, 3% Irish, 3% European Jew, and less than 1% each: Finland/Northwest Russia, Europe West, Pacific Islander, and West Asian. 

Because I did not feel that lumping all Native Americans into one category was sufficient enough to establish my wife’s tribal composition I turned to a lesser-known company that specializes in this information.  And I wouldn’t doubt that Ancestry.com one day purchases this company because of the phenomenal job they have done with testing native cultures around the world: information that is valuable for summarizing genetic matches.

DNA Tribes

Found at DNAtribes.com, this company also tests the Autosomal DNA inherited from both parents BUT this company compares that DNA with over 1,200 ethnic groups found in 32 regions around the globe!  But would this test reveal my wife’s Native American tribal composition?  

Soon after testing we received a 10-page PDF report detailing my wife’s genetic profile.  The first 6 pages explained the process with colorized maps showing the various tribal regions.  And they are quite detailed.  The 6th page explains the scoring methods used by the company to suggest match likelihood with any given native culture.  The final 4 pages were labeled as strictly confidential in nature.  Page 7 shows all alleles tested and their results.  Page 8 shows native population match results with map.  Page 9 shows global population match results with map.  And finally page 10 shows world region match results with map.

According to the report my wife tests high for: 

Otomi (Ixmiquilpan Valley, Mexico); and Hna Hun (Otomi) (Hidalgo, Mexico); Huastec (Hidalgo, Mexico), amongst others.  These are all Mexican native cultures.  But there were also a few Peruvian cultures that matched.

Interesting to say the least.  My wife remembers hearing her father talk about the Huastec culture, how his side was descended from this mountain-dwelling people.  Her father is quite tall, perhaps the mixture with Europeans originated in his lineage.  Her mother is much shorter.  It may be assumed, not proven, that her lineage descends from the Otomi culture.

The Huastec culture is a pre-Columbian culture that constructed cities and step pyramids, carved elaborate sculptures, painted pottery, but wore no clothes.  They were defeated in 1450 by the Aztec armies under Moctezuma and again in 1519-1530 by the Spanish Invaders who quickly converted the natives to Roman Catholicism and/or sold the natives into the Caribbean to be used for slave labor.
Because my wife knew about the Huastecs, to a certain degree, and because DNA Tribes placed the Huastec culture near the top of my wife’s ethnicity, it proves the reliability of this test.  We found the test to be extremely accurate in its predictions.

The test costs either $139.99 for a 22 marker test OR $159.99 for a 26 marker test.  

The one thing I didn’t like about the test results was the way the results were delivered.  Instead of pointing us to their website where we could log-in and view the results, they emailed a PDF report.  This report if lost cannot be reclaimed.  It is lost forever.  I had a hard time finding it for this article.  I have since printed it out.

I feel DNA Tribes is able to give those lumped into “native cultures” by other testing companies a more accurate picture of their genetic composition.  It certainly did for my wife.  She now knows with a near absolute certainty what ancient tribal cultures she descends through.  

FamilyTree DNA

Then finally there is the grand-daddy of them all… FamilyTree DNA.  There is a reason that 90% of all genealogists recommend FamilyTree DNA.  I will be exploring these reasons in Part 2 of this article.


No comments:

Post a Comment